Wednesday, April 11, 2007

In a Hurry

Last year for Easter, the boys were in matching seersucker ...this year the boys had every layer of clothing on that we could find in the Ranch house, ( You will notice Benjamin is wearing his cousin Bailey's jacket.) I also forgot their Easter baskets, you have tolove the Walmart bags... we had the best time.I am not sure seersucker will ever be able to be on the agenda again. The boys much prefer this look.


Yesterday was one of those mornings where we were trying so hard to get somewhere on time and everything, everything was not going smoothly. We're dressed...we spill something. Someone opens the door...and all of the suddden our dogs run in and hide under the bed. Someone chooses to take the paper shredder and dump it everywhere. Its ridiculous to even type it all out...in words it seems like no big deal, but every mom out there knows the panic of realizing, you're late and getting later...sometimes it feels as if you are being sucked into some type of tornado.

I think sometimes on mornings like this I am talking and do not even know what I am saying, I have a tendency to go into a zone. Obviously, I somehow conveyed to the boys we were late. About halfway to our friends, I saw the lights of the friendly police officer behind us. I immediately felt nauseated. I told the boys we were going to talk to a policeman for minute. The officer came up and took my license and registration and said, "Ms. Brooks, Can you please tell me if there is some kind of emergency?" I inhaled to say, "No" when from the back seat I hear Payton in his loud voice declare, "Her name is Becky and we are in a hurry."

I weakly smiled...The officer smiled...I got no ticket...

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I am absolutely convinced that Payton may need to be a lawyer some day and fight injustice everywhere he goes. Already getting you out of tickets! That is too funny! We can certainly all relate to those mornings!

mcjacobsjournal said...

I am cracking up that you ended up with no ticket. Gotta love those CUTE kiddos in the backseat!

And, boy, can I relate to the sucking tornado of trying to leave the house on time. It is WAY too often that my girls know we "have to hurry". :)

Glad you guys had a great Easter, despite the freezing weather!

Sarah B said...

So glad you shared that story! I am laughing here in the middle of the day and I love that. Sorry you got stopped but glad there was no ticket.

Kendra said...

I love this story,and I love Payton!! I want to spend some time with him and listen to him have conversations. I'm convinced we would have so much fun!! Know that I can feel that inner groan with you and the story of trying to get out the door. Sometimes no matter how much "buffer zone" you give yourself, it's just not meant to be, huh? Sure do love you -
kendra

Kelly Vaughn said...

Becky!
I love you and I LOVE those boys!
I love enjoying our children...your children! There are moments in life when your or my "zone" can only be broken by the joy and spontaneous word or actions from our children.......I am so thankful for the joys that come with being a parent! Another way we see how good God is!
love you!
KJV

Candice said...

I love your stories, Becky!

Lisa Renee said...

That is a daily scenario at my house, only throw a coach husband in there! Also had that ticket situation a few weeks back, officer not so understanding :( Love their lil tobogins (sp?) ! I once took my purse items in a wal-mart sack b/c I had to rush somewhere without my child and was TOO used to the diaper bag and no purse! I can't believe I just put that out there!

Anita said...

That is a great story! Sounds like a daily occurance for us too. Except I would have gotten the ticket. Clay and I are notorious for getting tickets and seem to always be on some kind of probation to get out of them. I have loved reading your blog right and so glad I found it.

Giggi said...

I love your stories about your boys! They bring back many sweet memories & believe me I had & still do have my in the "zone" days! It's usually a funny story later! I wanted to thank you for your sweet card! Such an encouragement! Thanks for the prayers! I do feel them! We love you guys! Kathy