Thursday, December 20, 2007

Weekend Away

Last weekend was one of the best of my life. (I started this post 2 weeks ago:)) I was telling a friend today..."I can't remember the last time I spent a whole day in silence before the Lord"...there was along pause in our conversation and then I added, "probably because in my 33 years of life, this was the first time I have."

It was wonderful. I was asked this past summer if I would mark the first weekend in December as a getaway...only when the invitation was offered it was explained this is not going to be an ordinary girl's weekend. We are going to have great time together, but we want the bulk of it to be being alone with the Lord. I suppose it would seem really spiritual to tell you how much I had been looking forward to this...but truth be told, as the time approached I kept telling Tony, "Say the word and I won't go." He kept assuring me, "You need this, go." I am so glad he encouraged me...It has blessed our family richly. Time for perspective, time for undistracted prayer, time to recount the ways the Lord has blessed us instead of just thinking about ways we wish He had (such a habit I can so easily fall into). I also, loved praying for all of the requests that came in from all over the country. I have continued in my prayers for each of you and will not stop.

I confess on my day of silence I kept wanting to hear the Lord's voice...to hear Him unveil some huge thing I had not thought of...to give me some clear direction for our family. I told Him I was wanting all of these things,as I sat there on the side of the beautiful mountains. (I can call Oklahoma that because I am from TX) As the day went on. I realized He wanted to give me something better- Himself. So often I am looking for answers when He is wanting me to just look to Him. I rested in that that day. As I was journaling that afternoon I wrote this...I have reread it several times since as I have called myself back to resting in Him...and just enjoying His Presence.

"In the quiteness, In the still,
Lord, I want to hear your will.

My child, Let go- Relax- Release.
I'm right here and I am your peace.

Lord, I so want to hear your voice,
Your word on this, Your thoughts, Your choice.

My child, sit still-let it be.
Can't you just enjoy me?
Look at the squirrels, the rocks, the leaves.
Touch the textures, feel the breeze.
All declare my infinite glory,
Look close, look deep , they tell your story.
YOu are loved, You are chosen, You are mine.
Yesterday, today, for all time.
Each thing I created, everything I have done-
I wanted to point you to my Son.
Inhale deeply, He is your peace
Exhale child, He's your release.
He is all things to all men
Your Savior, your Redeemer, your Hope, your Friend
Today let me give you what is best.
Time with me, time to rest.

After our day of silence we all met together to share what our day had been like. We all spoke of how badly we were wanting the Lord's answers, His thoughts, etc...So many heart cries lifted up.One of the girls shared a verse that I have thought of constantly.

Zechariah 2:13 (The Message)
"Quiet, everyone! Shh! Silence before God. Something's afoot in his holy house. He's on the move!"

I love that verse. As I continue to pray I keep calling that to mind. On each of the requests I bring before Him...Somethings afoot. He is moving and acting. I cannot wait to see what He does.

4 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Becky,

You just wrote what my heart has been saying and what the Lord has been speaking to me all this holiday season. Can I share this with my fellow women at our women's retreat I am leading in Feb. The theme is "the Heart of Worship" getting back to being with God without the noise and extra stuff.
Thank you for sharing this with us, what a blessing.

I believe I have been inspired. :)

Susan (Johnson) Young

Jenn H. said...

Becky,

Thanks for your message. I know you are praying for Bill's situation. Keep up with us at http://hagenfamily.blogspot.com/. Miss seeing you on Wednesdays.

Jennifer Hagen

Shelly said...

Those words gave me such encouragement today! They are obviously straight from the Lord, as they deeply touched my heart. Thank you for sharing them and for being still enough to hear them. What a great idea and a great weekend---love you!

Tam said...

What a thought, that God's goal is for us to know Him not answers. Simplifies it and makes it His agenda not ours. Thanks for the update on your weekend. Prayer for you and your too.
Tami